Larry and Lucy

Laurence Kent ‘Larry ‘ Pickard 1917-2008

WILMINGTON, OH – Laurence Kent “Larry” Pickard, 91 of Wilmington, Ohio (formerly of the Council House Community, near Grove, Oklahoma) died 9:20 AM, Monday, November 10, 2008 at Cape May Retirement Village, Wilmington Ohio.  His wife, Lucille Alice May Brotherton preceded him in death August 1999.  They were married April 3, 1943.  Mr. Pickard was born April 9, 1917 in Rowley, Massachusetts, son of the late Clarence Noyes Pickard and Pernal Sophronia Johnson Pickard.  He received his undergraduate degree from Massachusetts State college ( now University of Massachusetts) and prepared for a life in agriculture.  Raised in the Methodist Church and later convinced of the principles of pacifism, Mr. Pickard considered himself a conscientious objector during World war II, and received an agricultural deferment.  He along with his wife, Lucille, who was educated in the field of Christian Education, answered the call to ministry and served in the agriculture and pastoral ministry among Methodists in Ironsburg, Tennessee.

Upon leaving that ministry Mr. and Mrs. Picard moved to New Jersey.  They had become familiar with the Religious Society of Friends, Quakers.  They joined Friends and sought Quaker missionary/ministry opportunities.  In 1951, Mr. Pickard accepted the call as the pastor for the Council House Friends Meeting near Grove, Oklahoma under the auspices of the Associated Committee of Friends on Indian Affairs (ACFIA).  That ministry included aspects of pastoral ministry, missionary outreach, and agriculture.  While in that work, Mr. Pickard was “recorded” in the Friends Ministry by Nebraska Yearly Meeting (now Great Plains Yearly Meeting) of the Religious Society of Friends. 

Many lives in the community were greatly improved because of Mr. Pickard’s skill in electrical work, plumbing, preaching, and pastoral care.  Upon Lucille’s leading, they developed and led Quivering Arrow Camp for children.  Mr. Pickard took the lead in building the facilities for Quivering Arrow Camp, the Elizabeth Wallace Sunday School Building, and the Loom House.  Under the Pickard’s ministry the Loom house projects at Council House were begun and expanded as a major outreach.  The form of Ministry Mr. and Mrs. Pickard engaged in at Council House has been called “a model of Quaker missionary work.”

Upon retirement in 1979, Mr. and Mrs. Pickard lived in their house built by Mr. Pickard and “volunteers” on their small farm in the Council house community, and were active in the church.  From 1980-1996 Mr. Pickard served as a pastor during summer months of Grand Lakes’ Vacation Ministry, Cayuga Chapel.  He continued to serve ACFIA in several capacities and was a representative to Friends World Committee for Consultation at Triennials in Africa and Guatemala.  Mr. Pickard continued to preach and teach about Native American life, pacifism, and Friends testimonies of simplicity and integrity. 

After his wife’s death, Mr. Pickard remained at Council House until 2005 when he moved to Cape May in Wilmington, Ohio.  Mr. Pickard considered his years at Cape May as another phase of his call to ministry.  He was a member of the Wilmington Friends Meeting.  He was a “regular” at the public library and remained actively curious.  Moving to Wilmington brought him closer to several of his children and grandchildren.

Mr. Pickard is survived by three sons, Kent (Nancy) Pickard of Wilmington, Ohio, Clair (Patti) Pickard of Baker Oregon, and Dan (Pam) Pickard of Joplin, Missouri; two daughters, Anne (Max) Smith of Hagerstown, Indiana and Linda (David) Brindle of Goldsboro, North Carolina; 13 grandchildren; 16 great grandchildren; and two great grandchildren on the way.